Samuel woke up entirely too early this morning and eventually made his way downstairs to make himself breakfast. He had yogurt and wanted to put cheerios in it. We keep a glass jar of cheerios on the table to entertain Stella while she's in her high chair sometimes. I came downstairs around the same time Samuel was putting cheerios in his yogurt and just in time for the thought provoking question of "Mommy, are cheerios made out of palm trees?" I'm fumbling with the coffee maker and think maybe I've misunderstood. So I ask him again - he's realized his first question isn't right and asks "Are cheerios made of of pine trees?". I start to laugh (partially because his question is funny and partially because my coffee is brewing now and it smells so good - the smell of coffee gives me the assurance that the day will be fine). I turn to look at him to possibly gain clarity and realize his eyes are fixed on the detail of the glass jar. The glass jar is one of those old jars (I think this one came from my Grandmother) and it has stalks of wheat on it - he was confusing the stalks of wheat with palm branches and pine branches. He is so literal - I've always known this about him - as it's hereditary and he clearly gets it from his mother - but it still amazes me sometimes. This made me laugh even harder and by now he was laughing too. But I quit laughing quickly when I realized I had no idea what cheerios were made out of - guess I need to figure that out? This morning as I was sipping my first cup of coffee, I decided to let cheerios be made out of wheat (which I think is RIGHT and matches the glass container!!).
I love the age Samuel is now - the sheer curiosity, joy of learning, and sweetness of innocence all rolled up into one little brain, heart, mouth, and body.







1 comment:
I LOVE and ENJOY the mind, heart and spirt of the body that inspired this 5F post.
Post a Comment